Firefighters responded to a report of a fire inside a metal distributing company at the 300 Block of Lively St. in Norcross late Monday morning.
Crews found thick black smoke showing from inside the business on arrival. The building is a large butler style (metal) building and housed three separate businesses. The business suite where the fire originated is called Re Metals.
All employees safely evacuated and no injuries were reported. This was considered a one-alarm fire with approximately thirty firefighters that responded.
The fire was quickly contained to the interior of the one business and did not cause damage to the other business suites. According to firefighters, the two businesses will be able to re-occupy their suites today.
The fire appears to have been sparked by a forklift that hit a light fixture on the ceiling while extended. The spark ignited the metal shaving dust and flashed. The blaze caused extensive damage inside the one business (mostly warehouse area) and a forklift.
There were no injuries reported.