Firefighters responded to a report from an employee of a gas leak at the 2300 block of East Main Street, in Snellville.
On arrival, crews found a one story fast food style business that had already been evacuated by the staff. Firefighters went to work assisting and established a hot zone. A total of 4 employees and 3 dining guest were safely evacuated prior to rescue personnel’s arrival. Gwinnett County Fire Haz-Mat technicians made entry, quickly located and isolated the leaking line. The team determined that the leak was carbon dioxide coming from the fountain drink unit. After crews stopped the leak the business was then ventilated until levels returned to normal.
No other buildings were effected. The management has decided not to reopen until their corporate company can send maintenance personnel in the morning to repair or replace the unit. There was one teenage female worker that was transported by Gwinnett Paramedics to a local area hospital for evaluation of a minor complaint. There were no other injuries to report.