Firefighters responded to an occupant report of a house fire at the 1900 block of Suwanee Trace, in Lawrenceville
On arrival, crews found heavy smoke and flames showing from the garage and roof area of a small one story wood frame house. All occupants were outside – safe when the fire department arrived and no injuries were reported.
First-in crews made an aggressive interior attack on the blaze and conducted a primary search. The fire was quickly brought under control but not after causing extensive damage to the home.
Several pets (3 dogs and 1 pet squirrel) were inside the house at the time of the blaze . Two of the dogs were rescued by firefighters and are ok. One other dog perished in the fire. The pet squirrel was seen by firefighters exiting the residence when they were making entry and is presumed ok.
The fire has been listed as accidental and originated from a control burn the homeowner was conducting just outside the garage area. The fire has displaced 3 adult tenants and 2 children. The Red Cross has been notified and is responding.